Thursday, October 9, 2008

Crayola Mix 'Ems and Paint Brush Pens

This isn't going to win me any love from the nice PR people who sent me two new Crayola products for free, but I'm going to say it anyway:

Have you ever noticed new, innovative Crayola products in the stores? You'll see them, and think, hmm, that might be neat. And then the next thing you know, they're on Clearance. Because nobody bought them.

Because what we really want from Crayola is a wonderful, big-ass box of crayons with a built-in sharpener. And a pack of washable markers, and some sidewalk chalk, please.

Because of my penchant for clearance shopping, I've actually tried a few other Crayola innovations over the years -- sidewalk chalk that goes on a wheeled stick and sidewalk paint are a couple of things that come to mind. I even bought one innovation before it went on clearance -- these markers with no caps that are supposed to be great for babies. They weren't great for my baby -- she had a hard time making any marks with them. But her older sister thought they were cool for awhile.

And that's just how it goes with most of the innovative stuff we've gotten, including the products I'm reviewing today -- the novelty keeps the kids very engaged the first time we play with them. But after the first couple times, the novelty wears off and -- because the new products so far never work quite as well or at least no better than the classic products -- they always return to the ever-versatile, beloved Crayola standards.

So -- about the Mix Ems. These are markers with a different color on each end, and if you stick two marker tips together and smoosh them together, it's supposed to blend the color. My older daughter LOVES creating new paint colors, so I thought she would love this.

Well, the effect is not as subtle as mixing paint. Usually, it's more like the stronger color just overtakes the lighter color. You are supposed to be able to do some fancy tricks by using the tip or side of the marker, but since she's only 4, Nutmeg didn't quite get that.

After the first couple times she used these, they made their way to the bottom of the marker bin and I haven't seen or heard from them since. If the kids use them again, I'd predict they just use them like regular markers and forget about their mixing powers.

Then, on to the Paint Brush Pens. Here's an idea with clear mom appeal -- I hate setting out brushes and paints, washing brushes, and dealing with the mess that results from the whole project. I also dislike hanging up huge sheets of easel paper to dry. I know. I'm awful and because of me, my children's inner Michelangelo is forever stunted.

The Paint Brush Pens were kind of a compromise. They are definitely not as fun as instrucitonal for kids as painting with real brushes. Much less tactile experience, less variety of marks you can make. No paint mixing, which as I said is Nutmeg's favorite part.

But, it does make a more interesting variety of marks than plain old markers, and it is definitely less mess. The baby enjoyed drawing with these for quite awhile, and if she finds one, I'm sure she'll play with it some more.

But next time I buy a Crayola gift for a kid, I'm still sticking to the standards. You know what innovation I WOULD like from Crayola, though? Caps that a) are not choking hazards and b) somehow stay attached to the dang markers! I feel like all I ever do is replace marker caps, throw away dried out markers and orphan caps, and watch my toddler to make sure she doesn't have a cap in her mouth. I hate those little fairy fezes!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Dude, I know. We are always being given some weird new flavor of crayola product, and they're never as good. Now, they do have markers with caps attached: http://www.crayolastore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=CRA+58%2D6415

But somehow my two year-old has trouble getting the caps off of these, and then he's so intriqued by the design that he just sits and fiddles with the cap. Oh well.

And the mix-ems: someone gave us the off-brand version of these, and they suh-uck. The colors don't blend. And when you lose the middle piece, that's TWO markers without caps. It really is the little things that drive you to drink. Everyday.